Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Fun with data mining.

A while back, I purchased a Haynes auto repair manual for our '93 Geo Storm from one of the used book vendors on Amazon. It has paid for itself many times over. Most recently for the torque specifications for the spark plugs that seem to enjoy wriggling out of their sockets like parasites exiting the corpse of their used-up host.

So, I just got this email from Amazon:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased books by Robert Maddox, you might like to know that Honda Accord 1998 Thru 2002: All Models (Hayne's Automotive Repair Manual) will be released in paperback soon. You can pre-order your copy at a savings of 32% by following the link below.

This can only be explained by magic! I know they know I bought it and all, but how did they know how much I loved it? How did they know that I have become a Maddox completist? How did they know about the Robert Maddox fan-fiction that I put up on my MySpace page? (I'm particularly proud of my epic ten-parter Corvair Monza 1970 Thru 1972: The Manual That Never Was)

Internets, I love you.

No comments: