Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Blog worth reading.

Asymmetrical Information

Jane Galt is always posting things that are well written and well reasoned. Her posts are always worth my time to read. So, I am adding Asymmetrical Information to my Links over on the right.

Latest example:
...As bad as terrorism is, there are worse things in the world, and governments that spy on their citizens, and torture them, and imprison them without trial, are among those things. Undoubtedly, if I ended up dying in a terrorist attack, I would wish we had done more. But hey, if I was killed in a car accident, I'd undoubtedly wish that the guy who hit me had had his license pulled. This would not be an argument for shuttering the interstates and making everyone get around on Shank's ponies.

And from the comments on that post:
...It is in the nature of government officials to see all the worthy (at least in their minds) goals they could achieve with a touch more power, and seek to expand their power accordingly. I do not blame them for this, nor am I under the absurd illusion that this is some sort of uniquely Republican vice, as even a brief acquaintance with Janet Reno's tenure certainly proves otherwise. But I do think we've got to watch them closely, all the time, to make sure that they don't expand their power unreasonably--and when they do, to take that power back as quick as we can.

Of course, you should read the whole thing. It's worth it.

No comments: