Wednesday, September 21, 2005

There's something in my eye

Ratcrow writes:
So, go to this link, and you'll see where [REDACTED]'s house is:

Lake Jackson, Texas

Zoom out a bit at a time until you see most of the Texas coast.

Then go to this link. The storm is presently Cat 5.

Hurricane Rita


I called [REDACTED's SPOUSE]'s mobile phone, and left a "Hi, just calling to send our best wishes, if you get a chance, give me a call to let us know if you are okay, assuming you are not too busy fleeing from the HELLACIOUS KILLSTORM" voicemail (not in those exact words). It's probably not something they need to be bothered with, but almost satisfying as far as impotent gestures go.


Update 04Oct2005: I did hear back from [REDACTED] (quite a while ago, actually). He says:
...there was no damage to the house or fence. We really lucked out. Two of the "hurrricane shutters" had come off of the house - one blew off and the other warped so badly that it forced itself off of the wall.
So, [REDACTED], Mrs. [REDACTED], and little baby [REDACTED] are all fine. You, reader, may not care, but I certainly do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, the NHC doesn't seem to keep the original images for their forecasts, so the impact of seeing the hurricane coming down their driveway is lost.

If it were possible for me to do so, I'd post a radar image I found of Hurricane Katrina before it did its damage -- the pseudo-color thermal image looked like the face of a demon.