Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hudson Bay Bread

I remember eating this stuff every day for lunch with a thick spackling of military-grade peanut butter at Sommers Canoe Base when I was a Scout.   After paddling and portaging all morning through the Boundary Waters in Minnesota/Canada, it was the Best. Lunch. Evar.
 
I didn't even know it had a name.  I kinda figured that it was some Army surplus thing.  Mostly because it was served with acronym-laden green plastic pouches of peanut butter.
 
I forget why I originally entered it, but I found a note to myself in my PDA to check out recipes for Hudson Bay Bread.  The serendipitous first link from the Google search referenced not just what I was looking for, but was from the place where I ate it.
 
Other takeaways from that trip:
1) Having to carry everything in our canoes (or on our backs when portaging) resulted in lots of one-pot meals for dinners.  This was not an attractive prospect for a picky eater.  With the wonderful incentive of "eat or go hungry" I learned that I can choke down most anything that I don't like -- as long as I can douse it with salt.
 
2) My Army surplus wide-brimmed hat.  Such a great hat.  So many ugly, wife-consternating sweat stains.
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just make him wash it every once in a while (or wash it for him....)