Wednesday, November 23, 2005

1.21 GigaWatts!?!?!?

The thrilling conclusion to my laptop battery recalibration! Can you stand it?

10:26a Turned on with full juice, er, 84%, after everything loaded. Also, as soon as I turned it on, the battery indicator LED lit orange. It should be green, I think.
10:32a 55% Hooked up external USB hard drive (my mp3 player) and began playing music, using the laptop to power the player via USB.
10:35a 45%
10:39a 26%
10:41a 18% Low battery alarm.
10:47a 5%
11:04a 5%
11:20a 5% I begin to suspect that the problem may not be the battery as much as the XP Power Meter software and it's ludicrous predictions of remaining capacity.
11:48a 2%
11:54a 1%
12:26p 0%
12:29p Dead

That's two hours of battery life -- 1:45 after the Low Battery warning messages appear! Though, it occurs to me that playing mp3s doesn't seem to require much processor utilization. At least powering the external USB hard drive takes some juice, right? FWIW, the mp3 player battery was dead when I hooked it up.

I imagine that running the wifi card will use up that juice quicker. But for now, I am definitely going to leave the "Auto-Hibernate at Critical Battery Warning" turned off.

I'll be sure to let you know how my battery life fares under actual use, in excruciating detail (isn't that what a blog is for?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My lappy has a BIOS battery recalibration setting, where I basically get to let the thing run dead from a full charge and it works it out from there. Might be worth checking for. I've never bothered to do it on mine; I just have to watch for the 40%->10% leap that it likes to take.